Tuesday, November 2, 2021

The Healing is Gentle and Believable - A Review of Rescuing Her Heart by Cindy Ervin Huff


Rescuing Her Heart is a western, an historical romance, and addresses themes of women’s fiction all rolled up in one. I’ll be honest, when I started reading, I made some presumptions about how the story was going to go, (because I can’t help myself—just ask anyone who watches a movie with me). I figured I had it pretty well pegged. But that was most definitely not the case. In Cindy Huff’s story, she layers plenty of upsets and surprises. There’s adventure and a variety of characters that add richness to the story. But what I liked most about it was the gentle, believable way the author brings about healing to the heroine, Delilah James. She has been through unimaginable hardship and abuse, and I wouldn’t have believed it could end well if the author rushed the process. But Delilah’s healing doesn’t come fast and easy when the hero Jed Holt comes along. Her trust in him and in others has to be very well-earned. The author does a good job of working the characters through the process slowly and realistically. If you like a good western that has bad guys and shoot outs, if you like an historical romance about mail-order brides but not in the typical sense, and if you like a story that feels like the healing is real and that will take you to unexpected places, then you’ll enjoy Rescuing Her Heart.





No comments: