Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Hero Interview! Meet Deven McLendon from J'nell Ciesielski's "Night Fox" (The Highlanders Romance Collection)


Welcome to the second in a series of interviews I'm hosting with heroes from the four novellas in Smitten's new romance collection THE HIGHLANDERS which just released on November 15th. Today I welcome our hero, Deven McLendon from J'nell Ciesielski's Night Fox. You'll adore him!

Night Fox

After the failed Jacobite Rebellion of 1715, war-weary Deven McLendon returns home to discover a thief creating chaos on his lands. But this thief isn't like any other. When Rooney Corsen sets out to steal jewels to repay her family’s debts and keep a roof over her little sisters’ heads, never does she imagine snagging the laird's heart instead.

Meet Highlander Hero Deven McLendon

Purchase Link
MRW - Hello, and thank you for taking time from your duties to meet with me, Deven, or should I call you m’laird—or Lord Glèidh— as so many know you by that title?

Deven - Deven or m’laird if ye must. The Lord Glèidh title is not one I’m accustomed to at the now. Seems as if it stills belongs to my father before he fell in battle fighting to put the Stuarts back on the throne.

MRW - You’ve shared your story in full with Mrs. Ciesielsi, so I hope you won’t mind my asking you again about your home and lands and what brought you back to them, if it isn’t too painful.

Deven - Pain is part of life. I willna take the coward’s way and run from it. My family settled these lands centuries ago in one of the bonniest parts of these western Highlands. When the call came from our clan chieftain to take up arms against the German usurper sitting on the English throne, the McLendons dinna back down. We fought with honor and many lives lost, including that of my own father. After losing the war, we were hunted men until eventually being pardoned to return to our homes. Years had passed since I stepped foot on my beloved Strathmoore, and now I do so as her new laird.

MRW - You seem to have settled back into the order of things there in Scotland, but I know from your story, all was not done easily. You’d no more returned when you were met with some trouble—some thievery going on. And the thief had the habit of leaving something behind after each heist. Can you tell us about that? If it isn’t giving away too much, can you tell us a tiny bit about your first encounter with this one they called the Night Fox?

Deven - Aye, that wee thief. You wouldna think so much trouble could be gained by a slip of a thing, but dinna let the size fool ye. She flies into yer window, paws through yer valuables, and then leaves her calling card of a foxtail bundle. I should’ve kenned it was her the first time I saw the prickly ends clinging to her skirts, but that red mane gleaming like an autumn sunset had my wits at a disadvantage. Of course, the first time I beheld her she was concealed in a cloak of black and crouched on my window sill. Lad, I called her. If I’d only known.

MRW - What were your hopes for Strathmoore at this time? 

Deven - Upon becoming laird of Strathmoore, I inherited years worth of debt. It’ll take careful management for her to become the shining jewel she once was, but I’m prepared for the hard work. She will be a beacon of protection and justice for all who live on or near her lands. I only hope to probe myself worthy as her master.

MRW - With so many things demanding your attention, you also found yourself coming to a young woman’s aid in the village. Miss Rooney Corsen, I believe. There was a bit of rumpus going on, some accusations—something about her father. Do you recall that incident? Tell us what you were thinking during that meeting, if you remember.

Deven - Aye, there was something about her father and debts, but it’s not my place to speak for another man. Nor will I condemn those left in his scurrilous shadow, which includes Miss Corsen. She proved herself to be a hard worker, brave, and proud. I admire a lass with such character.

MRW - You seemed to continue crossing paths with Miss Corsen. In fact, you came to her aid again later on. What troubles did you find her in? Why did you feel compelled to assist her?

Deven - The lass is always in trouble though she willna admit to it. Stubborn as a stake in the ground, that one. In the beginning I felt honor bound to help her as is my duty as laird. Everything that happens on my lands, good or bad, is under my supervision and I dare not take the task lightly. Why continue to help her, ye might ask? Weel, let’s just say she may have captured something of mine that no other lass had been able to.

MRW - Who is Sir Leslie, by the way? And do tell us a bit about Miss Logan. Didn’t she also have news to share about the Night Fox’s escapades? It seems his fame was spreading far and wide. You might even say the Night Fox was becoming legendary. Why was that?

Deven - Those two, bah! Like sore teeth I couldna wait to extract. Unless ye wish to see my blood boil, we’ll go to the next question.

MRW - From all you’ve told us so far, it sounds like you had your hands very full, and everyone had expectations of you. And in the thick of it was this problem of trying to catch the elusive Night Fox. Quite a merry game of chase the two of you played, it seems. If it won’t give too much away to readers, can you tell us when you first started suspecting who the culprit might be?

Deven - From first we met the Fox led me on a merry chase. The Fox has a distinct way of moving, a way that nearly looked like … nay, I willna be telling ye the way my redheaded lassie moves, but ‘tis uncanny the similarities.

MRW - The tale of The Night Fox is quite a romp, though I’m sure you’re glad to have put it to rest. What was it like, revealing your story to Mrs. Ciesielski? Did you spill it all at once, or did it take deep recollection?

Deven - I tell ye true, the recollection is nay far from my mind what with the mischief it wrought. How could I so easily forget a redheaded scamp climbing through my window? A scamp who now sits at my side making sure I dinna forget any detail. She loves pointing out how canty she is in all of this. Without her prodding, I never would have agreed to this interview as I’ve more important things to do in the village, but I canna tell my wee fox no.

MRW - Thank you again for joining me today, Deven. I’m sure readers will be as swept away into your story as the Night Fox was when spying a chance at a precious, rare broach. Best wishes to you and to all in fair Strathmoore.

Now Meet the Author

Believing she was born in the wrong era, J’nell Ciesielski spends her days writing heart-stopping heroes, brave heroines, and adventurous exploits in times gone by. Winner of the Romance Through the Ages contest and Maggie Award, J’nell can often be found dreaming of a second home in Scotland, indulging in chocolate of any kind, or watching old black and white movies. Born a Florida girl, she now calls Virginia home, along with her very understanding husband, young daughter, and one lazy beagle.

J'nell on Social Media


No comments: