Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Things I Cannot Write -- Yet

Sometimes I stare at the empty page -- a blog, a story, an essay -- and I say, "No, Lord. I can't write about that. Not yet. It's too soon. I haven't the words. Not enough wisdom. There's an open wound, a hardened shell. Not yet, Lord. Maybe never." Or, "This is good news. This is joy. This is leaping in my heart, but the time isn't ripe. What do I do with that, Lord?"

Have you ever done that?

Is it too soon to talk to a friend? Too soon to write that theme? Too soon to birth that character? Too soon to visit that place in your heart or expound in wonder?

There are things I cannot write -- yet. But...

Sometimes the moment's right -- to create a character who knows those worries, fears, loves, and joys.
Sometimes them moment's right -- to open my soul in a blog, an essay, a poem.
Sometimes the moment's right -- to write it down, tell a friend, visit those places inside.

Sometimes the moment's right to shout out loud for joy or sorrow.

Usually I recognize that ideas come from the places I don't necessarily want to explore or am not allowed to wander yet. There are regions of experience I'd rather not revisit. Nevertheless, journeys are not to be wasted. Eventually peace falls around me, and I know when the time is ripe. Then the page isn't blank anymore.

I'm not waiting for a muse. Don't think that. I don't believe in them anyway. I'm not waiting for Divine Inspiration, only for Heavenly Permission.

I alone must recognize when, "My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer." (Psalm 45:1)

How about you? Are you wrestling with a theme close to you today? Maybe the wait is over. Maybe today the Spirit will say, "Now is the time. Tell it."

No comments: