Friday, January 2, 2015

My "New" Word for the New Year -- Can You Already Guess?

Some might see picking a word to camp on for the year as just a trendy thing to do. I've done it a couple times and clung to it, but I didn't set out to select a word for 2015. No words for the new year seemed noteworthy enough to capture my attention as 2014 wound down.

Then it happened by surprise, as sun set on New Year's Day. I was scrolling Facebook, when I saw someone in my news feed had posted 2 Corinthians 5:17, and it struck me afresh.



That Scripture is common to most believers; in fact, it's so common that we might hardly notice what it means to us daily. We are daily being sanctified in Christ. That means we are daily being made NEW! It isn't just a one-time deal. Christ saved us once and for all, and nothing we do will change that, but we are being sanctified -- alivened -- made holy -- set apart -- consecrated -- every day! We sometimes simply call it GROWTH. Actually, that's an over-simplification, but it helps us to remember that we are being made new.
NEW
The reason I selected NEW as my word for 2015 is because of its great encouragement value, not only for me, but for my family and friends as I pray for them. Sometimes, when I'm overwhelmed and don't know how to pray, I will pray for newness. Lord, I pray, make our love for You NEW, our prayer lives NEW, our love for others NEW, our determination for righteous living NEW!

Sometimes if feels like righteousness is nothing more than a weak thread -- because it is. We're sinners, every one of us, and we all feel the dismal ache of failure from time to time, and we sorrow when we see it in someone else. But that's when we remember our Father's great love for us, and that He is daily in the business of making All Things New.

Yes, NEW is my word for 2015. I will camp on it. I will remember it. I will sense it in my life. I will most definitely pray it!

Happy NEW Year to you, dear reader! If you have chosen a word to live by in 2015, please tell me about it. I'd love to hear what it is!

No comments: