Sunday, April 8, 2018

Paying It Forward on the Writing Journey

A few days ago, I had the great, good fortune to attend a writers' workshop featuring two excellent and well-known Christian fiction authors, Julie Klassen and Michelle Griep. I've enjoyed reading both of these ladies' books for a long time now, and I eagerly look forward to settling in with a couple more titles I purchased at the workshop. 



During the workshop Writing Christian Historical Fiction the authors did a fabulous job of tag-teaming a presentation that was packed with information and provided a lot of what I happened to be there for -- inspiration and motivation. They began with a basic definition of Christian Fiction, both what it is and what it isn't. From there they spoke on topics of historical research (how much to use and when to stop so you don't get sucked into the "research hole"), character-building, point-of-view, faith themes, tips to help the "stuck" writer finish their novel, self-editing and revision, and they even addressed various types of publishing how-to's. The workshop concluded with a list of resources to keep us all busy exploring for a while to come.

I appreciate these authors driving way up into the northern wilds to share their expertise, experience, and encouragement to writers of all levels. Sure, like most authors, hosting a workshop helps them to build their platforms, but for a large percentage of us who were already familiar and faithful readers, it also allowed them to pay their blessing forward. Publishing isn't easy, and writing itself is hard. We need to help one another, encourage one another, and keep pointing the way for one another.

Paying forward the lessons we learn in our writing craft is a small and vital way to be effective stewards of the blessings we have received, big or small, with few publishing credentials or many. We each have inspiration and tools at our disposal that we can share with others who are somewhere else in their writing development. 

For myself, I love having the opportunity to encourage other writers around me in my writers' groups and organizations, as well as students who feel drawn to the craft. Later this month I will have the opportunity to speak before a group of middle-grade writing students in northern Wisconsin from a wide area of schools. I hope I can find the right words to get them excited about writing and to help them gain some insights about what it means to become a writer with both honesty and enthusiasm.

Where are you in your writing process? How can I encourage you today? How can you take what you've learned and pay it forward?

Here's a reminder if you need a little "writer's food" in your diet. This summer there's a 2nd year conference taking place in St. Paul MN that is really going to be exciting. I went last year, and it was fabulous. After 2017's success, dozens of agents and publishers have clamored to be there this year. If, like me, you live in the upper Midwest and would like to attend a first-class conference close to home that won't cost a fortune, check out the
to be held at Northwestern Christian University in St. Paul, MN July 13th & 14th. If Julie or Michelle are teaching a class, be sure you attend, and if you see me when you get there, please say hello!

Write On!

1 comment:

Pegg Thomas said...

Exciting stuff! I'm so glad you were able to go. And just a little bit envious. :)