Thursday, October 10, 2024

Book Review: Through the Valley of Grief by Mattie Jackson


Two years ago this month, I lost my eldest son at only 36. It was sudden. It was tragic. Not a day has gone by that I have not mourned, deeply. In the past two years, I have gobbled up everything I can find to help me find my way in this horrible situation (as long as I feel it's a trustworthy, Biblical source). I've read books that have brought hope, and I've read some that I had to put aside because they didn't resonate or held Biblical error. I've listened to preaching galore. 

So about this source:

Because this is a year-long devotional, I'm not finished with it. I'm about 50 days in, but I feel that's a good beginning--enough to tell you that I will absolutely keep reading this book. It is one of the few devotionals that both spoke to my heart and gave voice to my grief.

The selections are brief, just enough to grab onto. This is important, because attention span is short in grief, and I don't know when one gets over that, or if they ever do. The way the book is broken down by practices throughout--Wail, Connect, Worship, Hope--at first didn't mean much to me, but as I've progressed through the entries and learned to understand more on this journey, they've made more sense. I sometimes go back to the introduction to understand them again. 

I don't know that the grief "healing process" ever brings about full healing. From what I'm told, probably not until I see Jesus. But in a devotional like this, you feel like there's someone there to tell you that the journey you are on is uniquely your own, and that it's okay for it to be that way. You sense the Lord's hand holding yours. In short, this little book offers a venue to freely grieve and to be comforted.

I highly recommend it to anyone experiencing the death of a loved one, and I'm very, very sorry for your heartache and loss.

No comments: